William WILSON 1905 - 1972
ARSA 1939, RSW 1946, RSA 1949
Born in Edinburgh Willy Wilson served an apprenticeship with James Ballatine as a stained-glass maker. He studied at Edinburgh College of Art and his etching and engraving won him a Travelling Scholarship to Europe in 1932.
He studied engraving and stained-glass making in Germany in 1934 and opened his own stained-glass studio in Edinburgh in 1937. He was a fine watercolourist using strong pen and ink drawing of Scotland, Provence, Normandy, Brittany, the Dolomites and Venice and often included architectural features such as old churches or old building.
He was considered one of the leading Scottish printmakers of his day but in 1961, in his mid fifties, he lost his sight as a result of diabetes.