Sir Robin PHILIPSON 1916 - 1992
ARSA, RSA, ARA, RA, PRSA
Robin Philipson was born in Broughton-in-Furness, Cumbria. His family moved to Gretna Green when Robin was 14. Following his secondary school education at Dumfries Academy in Scotland, he attended Edinburgh College of Art (ECA) from 1936-40, joining the staff in 1947 after war service.
His early artwork was influenced by William GILLIES and John MAXWELL and the Russian artist Oscar Kokoschka. During the 1950s and 60s he painted a series based on cock fighting, for which he became well known, a theme in which he used a more painterly expressionism than previously. He became interested in the American Abstract Expressionists in the late 1950s, and studied their work.
Later he painted several series based on cathedral interiors, crucificixion and the First World War. In each case he made an expressionist use of paint, with rich colours and jewel-like effects.
He was elected President of the RSA in 1973, and was Head of School of Drawing and Painting at the ECA 1960-1982 when he retired.